This manager can be a professional Digital Marketing Agency or an in-house person who has the knowledge and expertise of handling social media.
With my experience of last few years in the digital marketing space,I have summarized few qualities of a good Social Media Manager.
1. Passion : He should have the Passion for Getting the people attracted towards the brand in many different ways. He has to constantly keep thinking on increasing the engagement, likes, followers for his client.
3. Campaigns and strategies are different from posting regular client updates and 1 time interesting creatives like festival greetings.
4. Add More Ideas : He should know that Social Media has the power to do much more than the classical mediums of TV, Print etc. The creative campaigns etc. He should be a good story teller.
5. You cannot take a clients brand to the next level without the skill on writing about it in creative, understandable, interesting and engaging ways. You should be able to attach excellent writing with each of your creative posts too to support them.
6. Timing : Think and Act ahead of time. Moreover it will show you as a unplanned campaign. Eg. If you are posting Christmas greetings on the night of 25th Dec. then surely you have lost a lot of responses.
7. Be available 24 x 7: With the age of smart phones its easy to manage a lot of online activities even from out of office. This becomes every more important when your client has an international audience to connect.
Well he has the right to sleep. . . .
8. Knowledge of Platforms : He should have sound expertise of all the available and popular Social Media Platforms. Eg. Also if there is a new platform available to be used online and you dont know about it, then that raises a question mark on your expertise as well.
9. Data Mining & Analysis : He should be good Data Analyst.
He should have the knowledge of Data Mining and targeting the correct audience for the client. He should know how to get the data of correct audience so that they can best satisfy the clients needs. The tools like analytics should be used effectively to understand the audience response.
10. Constant Learner : He should have the ability to constantly learn new things. Social Media platforms will be evolving everyday, so you should be able to evolve along with them too. Keep your self updated with the latest trends.
11. Understand the Purpose : A Social Media Manager should understand the purpose of the Client very clearly. You should take a big picture view. Also, no matter how much online activities you do, if your client has the budget and you too feel the need, plan some offline Print or TV promotion too for your clients.
12. Organic V/s Inorganic : Try to be as much organic as you can. 10 new people added organically are better than 100 people added by inorganic payed ads. I will be happy to help.